Tuesday, July 31, 2007

The temperature is rising...and I have to don the jeans

Down to some business the last couple of days. It's been getting warmer, which makes it quite difficult to be wearing jeans all the time to meetings and interviews...will make for great sun tan weather, so bring on the sunbathing in Central park tomorrow! Someone needs a tan.

So I've been meeting and greeting the last two days. Yesterday I met a woman who needs a dog sitter for the month of August. So off I went to the Upper West Side (she's a few blocks down from one Mr Seinfeld) and found myself in an apartment which has it's own elevator. The place was HUGE...I believe it took up the entire floor of the building. So I met with Lilly, a beautiful little terrier who took to me instantly. So I got the job. Happy as Larry I headed home to get out of my jeans and I got a call from someone I had phoned about an apartment.

So after a nap, I headed out for my second appointment for the day. Unfortunately it seemed there was a miscommunication (on their end, not mine I'm sure of it) and I was apparently an hour late. I got really worried thinking I'd missed an important meeting until I sat down and met Rocco. Slick young sales man. He could definitely find me an apartment he said. He had them waiting for me he said. He told me how to act when meeting landlords, treat it like a job interview. Ask questions. Dress nicely. Be the sweet young Daisy that I am and they will feel like they need to have me, he said. It will only cost me $225 he said. I will have to seriously think about it, I said. I noticed when I left everyone who was coming in for meetings were young women. I think I'll be able to do it on my own, but Rocco made a few good points, so it was a nice learning curve. I never realised how competitve the rental market is here. You really have to make the landlord love you, make them feel like they have to give you that apartment. So it's ass-kissing time for me it seems.

Today I had an interview for a sales position at American Apparel. It took me a while to get ready, they are extremely focused on the right look and appearance. But everyone seemed cool and the guy that interviewed me was pretty relaxed and laid back. He even said should I get the job he new animation contacts I could network with...very awesome. So I was on a high as I left and shouted myself lunch at a japanese restaurant nearby. I took my time as I couldn't get into my apartment as Sisterhood 2 was being filmed in my street. Yep, stuff like that happens all the time here. Last year I was bummed to find out I'd be missing Law and Order being filmed on my street as it happened 2 days after we left. It's only a matter of time before they come back, I just know it!

One more thing I have learned walking around the city is that cyclists seem to rule all. You really have to watch out for them. They duck and weave throughout the traffic, glide down the sidewalk and zoom down the wrong side of the roads. The worst part is they're very good about cutting in front of you when you cross the street. It's a little confronting, seeing a bicycle whirl straight towards you, not concerned about you or anyone else. Cars on the other hand do not act against pedestrians. They just let you go on your merry way, even if your not supposed to be crossing. There does seem to be a lot of horn honking, but it's always towards other drivers. So beware of those bike riders!

No comments: