Friday, July 27, 2007

Why is it called Times Square when it's actually based on a triangle?

Feeling a fair bit better today. Was meant to post last night but I was so tired, and distracted by msn. Yesterday I decided to go to a museum, the International Centre of Photography. There was an amazing exhibition which featured portraits of prominent figures in black history. Gorgeous images of Duke Ellington and Count Bassie, Malcom X and a baseball player whose name I cannot recall, but the image was just spectacular, my favourite of the day. I spent a long time wandering around the museum, savouring the air conditioning. The museum is right around the corner from Times Square so again, I walked through the masses of people clamouring to get photos, bargain for the cheapest t-shirts (here, the famous I heart NY Tshirt can be bought for as low as 7 for 10.99 whereas in SOHO you can only get them 3 for 10...it's all about the know-how!) I found one of my favourite eateries here in Times Square, a place called Pax, where you can get pizza, pizza pies, made to order salads, sandwiches and baked goods. It is good wholesome food at a very affordable price. Too bad they aren't paying me for that perfect advertisement. I journeyed back downtown to find Harry Potter and decided not to be a loner and read it at home, so I jumped back on the subway and found myself in Central Park...miles away from the hustle and bustle of the city, well at least that is the effect you get as soon as your in the middle of the park. New Yorkers really know how to live it up in summer. It's so lovely and green. You don't realise how much the drought has effected Queensland until you see what your missing. Another thing that brought this to my attention was the fountains, they're actually on here! Also as I walk around the East Village in kid's playgrounds there are sprinklers spraying water all over the place. Kids go nuts and run around getting soaked. It's something I realised I hadn't seen in a very long time. Anyway, I realised I'd stayed for a lot longer than intended and headed home. However I managed to take a wrong turn and found myself at Columbus Circle, outside Trump Tower. Not bad to get lost and turn up here...



yes, this is me with a very large pretzel...and yes, the pretzel was making me thirsty

baseball is big here...four games were going at once...think I'll have to get myself along to one sometime


street sellers are everywhere tourists are (which is everywhere basically)

No comments: