Sunday, July 22, 2007

artists bling zoot suits and sun bathers

Today was to be my day to look around Williamsburg as a prospective home. Irene suggested she and Bronwyn come with me for the walk across the Williamsburg bridge so Bronwyn could see the area and so I wouldn't get lost (I think!). So off we went, walking shoes on. It was lovely walking along the bridge as the view of Manhattan is gorgeous and the breeze was superb. Something I've been needing in this humid weather. Though to be fair, the air has been a little drier this weekend. Williamsburg is the "arty creative" area in Brooklyn, home to musicians, photographers, inspiring actors and artists alike. A bit like where I am now in the Village, just a fair bit cheaper when it comes to paying rent. We wandered around the main drag, looking through many street stalls, which are almost like a mixture of trash and treasure stalls (no garages here, so no garage sales!) and market stalls, with jewellery, artwork and clothing being offered for sale. There was quite a cool vibe in that area. People were out and about wandering with their dogs and chatting over coffees. We stopped for a drink and I did some people watching as Irene and Bronwyn plotted their next move.


Views from the Williamsburg Bridge

Deciding to make the most of their company I followed them up to Harlem to see some brass musicians play in a church and visit the Harlem African markets...plus eat some real wholesome southern food. Unfortunately the church service was over so we missed the music. But that did mean we could go fill our grumbling bellies across the road at the southern buffet where we had choices of pigs feet, fried chicken, stewed salmon, fried whiting, mac and cheese, candied yams and SO much more. It was quite incredible. We stuffed ourselves silly then off to do some shopping. The stores in Harlem are so cheap! And wandering around we got to see all the locals dressed up in their finest clothes for church. Men in some very impressive zoot suits and women in spectacular dresses with matching hats and gloves.


BLING! in Harlem....it's good if it's BIG!



After the markets I bid my farewell and hopped off at 72nd street to explore Central Park and find some dancing skaters I'd been told about. Central Park is an amazing oddity for such a big city. It's smack bang in the middle of uptown Manhattan and sprawls across many acres (cant remember how many exactly). In summer it seems to attract everyone who has any remote access to the park - it is swimming with people. Skaters, cyclists, runners, horse drawn carts, tourists, sun bathers, dog walkers...EVERYONE. It was very cool to be somewhere so populated. I didn't find my dancing skaters this time round as I got side tracked by so many things, including a jazz quartet playing on the side of the road. Then I settled down in one of the "quiet zones" where I fell asleep in the sun...so now I am a tad red. Great place to sit and read, listen to music or just chill...I can see the attraction it has in such a busy city.




A park for the people - Central Park

Tired after all that walking and all that sun, I got the first subway home and collapsed on the couch. It was a good day today.

1 comment:

Peter Yong said...

sweet!! Central park looks awesome!!