Saturday, July 28, 2007

New York is Dead

According to someone who felt the need to tell everyone by tagging the entrance to an apartment I went to look at today. I didn't even go in. I found my way to the Williamsburg basement flat extremely easily and as I went to go inside a guy asks, "you here to look at the apartment?" I stop thinking maybe he's the one renting it out..."It's really messy, don't go in." I was a little confused at first then he continued, "it's awful, there's no windows and I saw a used heroine needle by the entrance." There was another guy who'd just come out talking on the phone about how dingy the place was. I didn't need to be convinced any more...I turned around and walked away with the red-headed guy. But instead of running back to my beautiful Manhattan, I walked (the apparent 3 minute walk to the main Williamsburg strip, it was actually 10) to Bedford Ave and checked out the scene. It's very different compared with Manhattan, there's definitely a more laid-back vibe, a more suburban feel. However when I did get back to the East Village, it was strange how much of a relief I felt to be in a place I knew.

Prior to my house hunt, I went on a very long walk. I ended up at 32nd St and Madison...I live on 4th and B so it was a fair hike. I found a lovely park on Madison, heading downtown so I sat and veged out. Then I realised...damn I'm in New York! It just hit me (yes, very slow I know) and I looked up to take a picture of some amazing silver trees in the centre of the park and found the flatiron building. One of New York's prominent landmarks found completely by accident! Yay me.

So lets talk subways now. Some inside information of this most coveted of modes of public transportation. Catching the subway is actually a very easy task, once you know exactly which train you need, what stop you need to get off and what stop is before that...and I've found it's best to do all this without having to look at the map whilst on the subway. That way you will look like a New Yorker. Own that subway. When it is peak hour, the trains are often sardine jam packed tins which require the loss of personal space for the length of your trip. And when it comes to getting off that packed subway, knowing what stop comes before yours you need to square your shoulders, puff out that chest, take one deep breath and push your way to that door til the tip of your nose is just centimetres away. All the while muttering kind apologies and excuse me's. Because if you don't, there's a high chance you'll be zooming off to god knows where...and that, trust me, can be a little stressful. Anything can happen on the subway. You can have crazy people who believe they have found a captivated audience and start telling you their stories; you can find a barbershop quartet singing down the train carriages wishing you a wonderful day; and you can have the homeless person waiting for "their seat". Some people ride the trains for something to do, and they aren't always the homeless ones either.

I also saw something you would only see in New York. As I exited the subway at Houston and Broadway, I found a police officer handcuffing a man and give him a pant down. Just behind them stood three guide book clad tourists watching in excitement. I was waiting for them to take out a camera.


This looks like it could be an interesting place to visit


Madison Square Park...sunbathing in the park something I still can't fathom!



flatiron building looks cool like this


it actually looks like this though

No comments: