Friday, July 20, 2007

Morning at social security

Today I went to the social security office in the East Village to obtain that precious piece of government identification - the social security number. Basically you need one of these to do anything in the states. Home, job, bank accounts you need one for all of these. So now I have to wait 2 weeks til my card comes. I saw the real america in that office yet luckily only had to wait half an hour and the lady was extremely friendly (she'd already had an aussie in for his ssn). Afterwards I took a walk through the east village, rediscovering all that is on offer. There are these gorgeous community gardens scattered through the city, most of them in this area. They are gardens that allow people to bring out their "inner gardener" as it is all apartment living here and no one has one of their own. These pics are of the one just around the corner from me. There's this huge tower made up of random oddities...it's quite beautiful.

No comments: