Friday, July 20, 2007

Miracles at Chelsea and 34th


Well after a beautiful pad thai lunch I headed out again, this time beginning in Chelsea, the funky gallery district. The private galleries are a wonderful source of creative inspiration as it's always new artwork, new artists and it's free! The area all these gorgeous galleries are in is quite industrial and doesn't exactly invite you in, but once you get past that you're opened up to a gorgeous world of creativity. Walking back on 23rd I passed Hotel Chelsea, a landmark of the area. It's a beautiful building. On from Chelsea I went on a mission to get a sim card so I will manage to apply for jobs as I'll have a number that doesn't look scary to call (the social security lady freaked when she saw it!). So I headed on up to 34th st to find a miracle. No cell number but loads of people and a groovy drum band in the subway station. I did manage to convince myself I could go on another shopping trip and pop into Gap for some all american clothes. Here in New York people don't seem to notice the heat, or are too conservative to dress accordingly. At home summer is marked by the stripping off of clothes and wearing of bikini's in public. No way would that EVER happen here. Most people are still in jeans!! CRAZY I say. Oooh and I did see a dude today who looked like he was a part of the gang in Back to the Future 2 (the future episode). He was all in black (hair included) tight tshirt, pants and boots with platforms so high I had no idea how he could walk...I'll post my sketch soon.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I stumbled upon your blog. I have a friend who is making the move to NYC with $300 dollars in her account. You seem to be doing well. You have such an eye for photography.

agreenearth said...

Calling in to say hi from the Gold Coast.