Tuesday, July 24, 2007

How can you not like the country who created spray on butter?

Well the last two days have been pretty laid back here in NYC. Yesterday was rained out so I spent most of my day working on my website and folio to get started in that job hunt I am about to embark on. I also managed to score an appointment to view an apartment in Williamsburg for tomorrow. Talking to the broker, I'm asked "what time did you want to view?" I reply with, "how does 10 suit you?" and in true New yorker style, he replies "10? Are you up that early?!" I forget that here, time runs very differently. Open houses don't actually start til around 6pm.

Here the people are lovely, so polite and courteous on the street. In the stores it's a matter of professional courtesy however generally everyone is very helpful and nice. Walking about the streets even you'll find the friendliest homeless people. It's hard to walk away from someone asking for money when you receive a "I hope you have a beautiful day, ma'm" after you rudely snub them off. However one cant give away all their money to nice people on the street. It's hard but you get tough pretty quickly.

I must be doing something right as I've been getting an increasing number of requests for directions! Unfortunately I don't quite know my own way around most of Manhattan just yet and am always having to reply with an apology and a "so hope you find your way" smile as I walk off to find my own way around. I will have to start exploring many more areas and familiarise myself with all of Manhattan so I may be of some use someday. It's not an unusual sight to see random lost people hugging their map tightly to their chest in the hope that someone will swoop down and save them from the grid.

Oh yes, the spray-on butter...I should probably mention that! Food is always something tat connects you to different worlds. Now, being from Australia you would't think that food would be so different here in the US. It isn't actually THAT different, there is just so many more choices. Just as basic cable comes with about 100 channels (minimum) going to the supermarket takes a lot of time and effort for someone who knows no brands and just wants to soak everything in. I think I was in the way of a lot of people who actually knew what it was they needed. Especially in front of the frozen food aisle where there is two (count them, two!) whole freezers devoted to vegetarian options. I was in awe.

No photos for this post as I haven't really been anywhere to take any! I will write a little more about the apartment I am staying in however, and will dig out some cool rooftop pics I took last summer I was here.

No comments: