Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Art, bikini's and lovers in the park

Then sun came out in full today. It was a gorgeous day. Hardly a cloud in the sky. So it was a perfect day for me to head to Central Park and work on getting some faint signs of a tan. I also decided it was a good time to make my way up to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. My parents had given me membership to the museum as a gift, so I'm able to go for free as much as I like for the next year. So I hopped on the subway and head to the Upper East Side. A land when numbers are spelt in fancy cursive script on the sides of buildings, and doormen have to suffer in suits, hats and gloves, forever bound to open doors. It's interesting how diverse the districts within Manhattan alone. Unfortunately I couldn't it my camera in my bag, so I will have to make another trip up there for some nice pics. Park Ave shows off some great views of lower Manhattan. I made my way to the Met and discovered that it is still under construction (3 years running now) however it was popular as ever. I believe most of the attraction was the cool air conditioning within. But then I can be an art snob and get frustrated when viewers don't understand the artist and their history. You can tell the "tourists" from the art appreciators. I spent two and a half hours inside the museum and hardly made a dent. The building itself is amazing, so many rooms all moving into other rooms with more delightful treasures. I chose to seek out those I feel at home with, the impressionists and modernists. I turned a corner and there was an orignal Picasso staring me in the face. For me, it's just amazing to see works but great artists right there staring you in the face. Then I found Monet, Degas, Renoir and Van Gogh. Simply breathtaking. I has goosebumps. Though that may well also have to do with that air-con I was talking about before.

Afterwards I got myself a cheese pretzel (mmm mmmmm) and found a sunny spot near a tree in Central Park to eat and get some sun. It did feel a little weird to strip down to my bikini in the middle of the park, but this Gold Coast raised aussie chick did just that. Reading Harry Potter as well of course. Around me were various groupings of people, a man a his cute dog, a group a people sunning themselves and a very loving couple. New Yorkers are certainly not afraid to show their feelings for one another in public. Both good and bad. I guess when you live in such tight quarters, so close to your neighbours, it's something you get used to.


A couple Picasso's


I found about 6 people painting replicas of some great works of art
This guy was the best in my opinion


He definitely drew a crowd!


Monet Waterlillies...sigh


Van Gogh...love seeing his actual brushstrokes


The entrance to the Met


I love the random buildings you see, this one is so tiny compared to the skyscrape next to it


Bikini in the park...when in Rome

No comments: