Monday, August 13, 2007

Coney Island - physically it's not an island but it's definitely a place all on it's own

I'm going to let my many pictures tell my stories this time. It's 12.30am and I should be getting to bed but I wanted to post a blog. My last few days have been fairly eventful. I have fended off the advances of potential landlords, sung karaoke in the depths of an underground japanese bar, visited the strange and wonderful land of known as Coney Island and finding myself in a rockabilly bar with a mexican tattoo artist from queens. It's been a roller coaster (for a few minutes of the last few days, it literally was a roller coaster).

Coney Island was so cool. It is exactly the way you imagine the place to be should you have seen even the tiniest glimpse on TV. A haven to freak shows and ancient rides, the place is the holiday getaway trip for the whole family. The Cyclone is the famous roller coast there. It's having it's 80th birthday this year so we needed to celebrate it. And it was both the most fun but scariest ride I have ridden ever. I do believe the carriage lifted off the tracks at more than one point. Talk about an adrenalin rush. We also rode the wonder wheel which was bought by a street cleaner in the 1920's who saved up all life savings to buy the wheel for his wife as an anniversary gift. It made the ride so much more special to hear that.

Ok, photo time...more stories later! The first two are from a train station in Brooklyn. The rest are Coney.


















No comments: