Thursday, August 9, 2007

If you plan to shop 5th Ave, don't wear your flip flops

Poor Courtney and I got some interesting looks as we cruised the 5th avenue shopping yesterday. That side of town is a completely other world. Starting at Saks, we moved on through Cartier, Tiffany's (yes, the real one!), Gucci, Versace, and we finished with a visit to Trump Tower. I was hoping that the door man might make an exception and open those middle doors for Courtney and I however it that is reserved for Mister Trump and Mister Trump only. Imagine if that was your job, to be standing (in full uniform - full suit, hat and gloves) and waiting for that moment Donald decides to go into that building, and open the door for him. Crazy I say!

Well I realised I hadn't posted for a while as I have actually been keeping myself busy. So I thought I'd share some of my experiences. I haven't been doing too much sight seeing, with the exception of going out with Courtney yesterday. I have been focusing on my portfolio presentation and looking for an apartment. That and taking care of young Lilly here.

It's definitely a different experience when you start walking a dog. People will stop and say hello and pat the dog. It's a great social thing as when you walk on your own, the only people who stop you in the street are asking for money or something else I'd rather not discuss...neither of which are very appealing! So having Lilly to take to the park is great. Though she's a weird little dog. It's difficult to watch television as anytime an animal is on screen you get ear piercing barks then a lot of stressed pacing around the room.

The city flooded the other night. Basements were filled with water and subways came to a sluggish crawl. All thanks to some tornado. It's strange that such a huge city has very little infrastructure to deal with flooding. I guess it's hard since it's so flat however the city just about stopped. Traffic piled up and the subways got jam packed...if they came at all. That and the lack of information astounded me. But we managed to get where we needed to get and it all worked out fine. Though I noticed today that a few shops and restaurants had to close down for a few days to deal with flooded basements. Restaurants have their kitchens/supply rooms in the basements of buildings so flooding is probably one of the worst things that could happen to them. Actually it's quite cool to see the basements of these places. Along the sidewalks there are these metal trap door-like doors on the ground. These open up for conveyor belts to load food and supplies intot he kitchen/stock rooms.

Anyway I'll leave you with some photos...I have gotten into a bad habit of leaving my camera at home so they're all from my mobile...and mostly all of food. Yes it is all about the lavish food I see here. Plus Trump Tower and and accidental spotting of the Chrysler building.







No comments: