Tuesday, October 9, 2007

A date with lady Liberty

Well it's about time I blogged about something stereotypically New York. Today Tracey and I made the trip to the Financial District, all the way down the bottom of Manhattan to see the lovely Miss Liberty. It was an unfortunate overcast and windy day however the benefit there was that it deterred most sight-seers and left us with room to move. Feeling peckish, we decided to head through Battery Park past the many men pretending to be the Statue of Liberty for photo opportunities, and into the world of business. And what did we stumble open as we drew close to the statue of the charging bull...a television set. I noticed that there were many director's style chairs with names printed on the back. The first one I see...I have no idea who it is, then scanning across I see "Vincent D'Onofrio". Immediately I look at the guy in the chair (well where else would I look first?) but alas, someone else was sitting in his chair...And then Tracey spots him with an excited squeal from both of us. So I made the use of my zoom lens today and snapped my very first "star spotting" pictures. We watched them film a scene and then headed to TGI Friday's for lunch. Fried food anyone? Vincent, a bite to eat?!

Then off to the Statue of Liberty as she had been patiently waiting for our arrival. Through crossed communications we managed to miss out on Ellis Island (something I recommend everyone see) but got to Liberty Island with plenty of time to spend wandering. Thanks to the wind though, this wasn't exactly enjoyable so we took our photos and left.

I also have realised that most people American perceptions of Australia have been shaped and influenced by that one episode of The Simpsons. Lucky for us, we are simple minded folk.




Battery Park



Cue excited squeals










Bcause you need MORE than one man in a liberty costume











Geeky cool...I couldn't resist

No comments: