Sunday, September 2, 2007

It's all about history, sex and shakespeare in the city

It has been a VERY busy week for me this week. I have finished summer by saying a teary goodbye to my good friends after an awesome few days of site seeing, getting tickets to the famed Shakespeare in the park and moving house. I'll write a separate blog on the moving after I've settled i in. But I am writing from my new bed in me very own bedroom in Greenwich Village. Yes, super cool I know.

Well after I left off last time the girls and I had planned a day relaxing and walking around Central Park. So Tracey, Lily and I made our ways up to 103rd to meet the girls. We wandered around and found a nice spot behind the Met to have a picnic lunch (I have recently discovered the joys of "fake steak" strips. Mmm mmmm they are delish! Lily kept guard and despite her constant barking at passing squirrels she made lots of friends with the kids in the park. So we took it easy that day. It was fun to sit in the sun and chat with your girlfriends...I really appreciated the day since there were only two left for me to have them there. That evening I met a new friend of mine who is also new to the city and we explored the west village and west side of Manhattan. There were gorgeous views of Hoboken or Jersey City (not sure which one) across the river. I never expected to come to NYC and find myself walking down a boardwalk along a river and find it to be beautiful. But it was lovely. We then ended up in my new 'hood and went to a cool bar called The Bitter End and saw a number of performances. It was a fun chilled out day altogether.

The next day was a lot more jam-packed than our day in Central Park. Alicia, Tracey and I planned a morning trip to the Museum of Natural History on the Upper West Side. We had a free guided tour (so worth it, anyone who goes should do one) and spent a few hours wandering around checking out the amazing exhibits. I managed to find The Squid and the Whale...an exhibit I had always heard about (and there's a movie named after it) but had never found. Alicia and I had fun making faces for the camera. Her camera had filled up so I became her personal photographer. It was fun to actually have people in my photos! So after a long morning of walking w found lunch at a Starbucks and then made our way to midtown east to meet Courtney and Alaina for the Sex and the City Tour. I was so excited. Plus I had to BS my way to getting extra tickets as they had sold out quickly...but we did it and all five of us managed to hit the bus. The tour takes you to all the different shooting locations of the show and lets you off at some of them to walk around and get a feel for the place. We got given cupcakes, the option to buy the infamous "rabbit" at a reduced price and mini cosmos at the end of the trip. Then it ended and we had to say goodbye. I did very well not to end up in tears...though I was almost there. It was quite sad to realise I wont see Courtney til December, and Alicia til sometime next year. But thats the way it goes. That evening I went to a party with my new friends in midtown. It was a going away party for one of the girls and she made a beautiful video of everyone. Though it made me even sadder as it reminded me of my going away. I was quite emotional that evening and went home a soon as I could.

The next morning I was woken up early by Irene getting ready to line up for tickets for Shakespeare in the Park. Then I remembered I'd told her the night before I would join her. So I dragged myself out of bed. Donned my comfy I HEART NY tshirt and sneakers and picked up Lily and left. We were there to wait until 1 pm when the tickets got handed out. So it was 4 and a half hours of waiting. But it was worth it...the show was amazing. Unfortunately I was so tired I was trying to stay awake. But the production was really awesome (for something you see for free!) the costumes, lighting and the fact that we were in the middle of Central Park just made the evening so special.

The next day I moved...but more on that later! I have a lot of photos to show...



Central Park views


A cool old pier














I loved the Museum of Natural History


Courtney and I with the infamous Rabbit


Mmmmm mmmmmmmm...cupakes


On Carrie's Stoop


A part of the line behind us waiting for Shakespeare tickets

No comments: